The COVID-19 pandemic has created uncertainty on what businesses are open and what ones are not. Also, with continuous updates throughout the region, store hours may vary per type of business. If you Google search your business in your local area, you’ll see the hours listed in the Google My Business area. It’s important that these stay up to date so people aren’t confused on whether or not you’re open. With a Google My Business profile, you can update your business hours easily with a simple verification process. Not to mention, it’s completely FREE! All you need is a Google account.
If you’re unsure what a Google My Business profile is, it’s the card you see on the right-hand side of your screen when you do a Google search. On mobile, you’ll see a similar format. See photo below:
Not only do you get access to your business hours, but you’ll also be able to respond to reviews, add photos, and post important information about your business. Keep in mind you DON’T have to have a physical location to be listed in Google. In Google, search your business name to get started. If you can’t find your business, go to part 2 of this tutorial.
Before you update your hours on Google My Business, you’ll first have to have a profile.
Part 1: Claiming your existing business on Google:
- Search your full business name on Google (if you can’t find your business on Google, go to Part 2 of this tutorial).
- Click on “Own this business?”
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Select your verification method.
- By phone
- The number listed on your Google My Business page will be the number Google will call or text with a verification code. Enter in the verification when prompted to do so.
- By mail
- Google will mail you a postcard with a code that you will need to verify your business. It can take up to 16 days to receive however most businesses will receive a postcard within 12.
- By phone
- Once you’ve verified your business, you’ll be able to update your store hours as well as other business information. If you’re not already signed into your Google My Business profile, go to https://business.google.com/
- On the left-hand sidebar, click on info.
- By your business hours, click on the pencil icon.
- Edit your hours and click on apply. It may take up to 3 days to be published.
- Done! Google your business in a couple of days to verify that your business hours were updated.
Part 2: Creating a Google My Business page
- Head to https://business.google.com/
- Click on “Manage Now”
- Sign in to your Google account
- Instead of searching for your business name, click on “Add your business to Google”
- Input your full business name and press next.
- Enter your main business category.
- If your business has a location customers can visit, select yes and press next. If you don’t have a location customers can come visit you, select no
- Selecting Yes:
- Enter your complete address. This is important to have correct because people will be using navigation apps like Google Maps to find your location. If you also serve customers outside your business address, you’ll have the option to list your service areas as well. NOTE: Your address cannot be a PO BOX number.
- Selecting No:
- Enter in your service area. This area will be the area your business serves. For example, John has a plumbing business that he runs only for the Bonnyville area. He doesn’t have a physical location for customers to come to visit him so he would list Bonnyville as a service area.
- Selecting Yes:
- Follow the next steps. Enter in your business phone number and website.
- Verify your business. You may choose to verify later but you won’t be able to access all of Google My Business features or be eligible to appear across Google. Select from the options available to you. See verification process above.
- Once you’ve verified your business, go to https://business.google.com/ and click on info on the left-hand sidebar to edit your business hours.
Still Need Help Updating your Business Hours?
Contact AB Web Services to get help verifying your business on Google.